Who we are
Cigna (NYSE: CI) is a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. We trace our roots back more than 200 years, but we became the company you know today in 1982 with the merger of INA Corporation and Connecticut General Corporation. Ever since, we’ve continued to innovate and expand around the world. We have sales capability in 30 countries and jurisdictions, and more than 95 million customer relationships throughout the world. Our more than 40,000 employees serve customers just about everywhere.
Every day, our team works together with our customers in ways they find proactive, personal and empathetic. That spirit of true partnership goes deeper than paying claims, and is often life-changing — helping customers stay well, prevent sickness, obtain access to health care, recover from illness or injury, return to work and provide for their families. Worldwide, we offer our customers and their families peace of mind and a sense of security. We’re with them all the way, through the most critical points in their lives.
What we do
We work together with customers to help them lead a healthy, secure life. We provide customers with personally relevant products and services, and we help customers reduce health costs and achieve optimal health outcomes.
What partnership means
A partner makes things simpler: As advocates for our customers, our team helps navigate an often confusing health care or insurance system so customers get the care and financial protection they need. We understand our customers as individuals, so we can help them achieve what’s most important to them.
A partner helps you make better choices: Cigna puts the power of information in our customers’ hands. We provide information our customers need to improve their health, identify and fill gaps in their health, well-being and security needs, and maximize value.
A partner cares about outcomes: We collaborate with our vast network of health care professionals and our other colleagues around the world to ensure all our customers obtain quality, cost-effective health care, benefits and insurance protection.
Facts About Cigna
$41.6 billion in revenues
Ranked 73 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list
$13.7 billion in shareholders’ equity
$2.7 billion in adjusted income from operations
95 million customer relationships around the world
Assets of $61.8 billion
More than 45,000 employees worldwide
- 15.9 million global medical customers
- 168 million medical claims processed in 2017
- 15.8 million covered by dental
- 8.8 million covered by Group Disability
- More than 6.5 million covered by Group Life
- Medicare Advantage plans in 17 states and D.C.
- Medicare prescription drug plans in all 50 states
- U.S. service centers available 24/7/365 for medical and dental plan customers
- Global network includes more than 1 million relationships with health care professionals, clinics and facilities including:
- 122,000 participating behavioral health care professionals and 14,000 facilities and clinics
- 69,000 contracted pharmacies
- 89,800 vision health care providers in more than 26,300 locations
- 140,600 Dental PPO professionals, 19,900 Dental HMO professionals
Get access to Cigna’s financial reports and filings, including stock information.
Explore career opportunities and share in the reinvention of health care.
Our unique approach and initiatives to support a healthier world.